REALNETWORKS LLC AND AFFILIATED ENTITIES
Last modified: December 22, 2022
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
RealNetworks collects information as necessary to operate effectively, provide and improve the products and services we offer, communicate with you, and provide effective customer support. Such information can include:
- Your name and contact details such as email address, mailing address, and phone number;
- Billing information, such as credit card number, when you make a purchase;
- Demographic information such as your gender or language preference;
- Information about your interaction with our websites such as pages visited, time and date, and subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over during your visits;
- Information relating to your use of our products and services, for example geolocation information and the content you download using RealPlayer® (including domains associated with such content);
- Information relating to photographs or videos you upload to RealPlayer or add to RealTimes®, including facial recognition information or patterns associated with photographs or videos to enable and improve image and facial recognition features;
- Information about your computer or mobile device such as your unique device ID (persistent/ non-persistent, MAC or IMEI), hardware, software, platform, browser type, and Internet Protocol (IP) address.
While most of this data come directly from you or your device, such as information you provide when you sign up for the service or information we gather when you use our products and services, we sometimes receive information from third parties such as:
Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities:
- Advertisers that share information about your experiences or interactions with their offerings;
- Service providers that help us determine your device’s location based on its IP address to customize certain products to your location;
- Social networks (like Facebook and Twitter) and similar third-party services, that make users’ information available to others; and
- Publicly available sources.
As an example of publicly available sources, RealNetworks collects publicly available images of known celebrities and public figures. RealNetworks uses these images to develop associated facial recognition data for its celebrity database, which supports the celebrity recognition feature in RealPlayer and StarSearch® by Real Chrome Extension.
Our services are not targeted to children and RealNetworks does not intentionally or knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
RealNetworks uses the personal information we collect to enable our operations and to provide our products and services, including:
- Deliver to you and bill you for RealNetworks products and services;
- Verify access rights to premium content or other access-restricted services and software;
- Determine if your device meets minimum system requirements to use our products, and provide information concerning compatibility and interoperability;
- Auto-update downloaded products;
- Provide personalized content recommendations, language and location customization, and/or personalized help and instructions;
- Develop aggregated statistics that help us better understand how our products are used and to market them;
- Conduct research, develop new products or features, and improve our existing software and services, such as fixing problems and continually improving the performance of features such as facial recognition or content recommendations;
- Track content use for the purpose of paying royalties and license fees to third-party providers; and
- Communicate with you, such as sending you messages concerning your account and customer service issues; asking you to participate in surveys; and delivering news, updates, targeted advertising, promotions, and special offers.
HOW DO WE KEEP PERSONAL INFORMATION SECURE?
RealNetworks is committed to protecting your personal information. We use the following controls to protect your personal information:
- Use of secure connections using SSL to safeguard information when transmitted from your Web browser to RealNetworks;
- Use of security controls to restrict access to databases housing personal information;
- Use of encryption for sensitive personal information, such as credit card numbers and user names;
- Limited employee access to databases containing personal information and confidentiality requirements imposed upon employees who do; and
HOW LONG DO WE RETAIN PERSONAL INFORMATION?
WHEN AND HOW DO WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
RealNetworks may disclose personal information about our customers to our service providers in order for them to provide specific services for RealNetworks. For example, RealNetworks shares personal information with third-party payment processors for billing purposes, and third-party data center service providers such as AWS for secure storage. RealNetworks service providers are bound to keep all personal information they process confidential.
RealNetworks use third-party analytics providers such as Google Analytics to help us compile aggregated statistics about the operation and effectiveness of our websites. Analytics providers set or read their own cookies or other identifiers on your device, through which they can collect information about your use of our websites and those of other companies. You can learn more about Google Analytics, including how to opt-out, by visiting Google’s Privacy & Terms for Partners.
On mobile devices, these advertising companies sometimes collect and use this cookie along with advertising IDs provided by the mobile operating systems, such as the Android advertising ID and/or Apple's ID for advertising. These advertising IDs can be controlled or reset through your mobile operating system settings. Settings vary from device to device but you will usually find the ad identifier settings under "privacy" or "ads" in your device's settings.
When you search for specific content on RealNetworks websites, the search terms may be embedded in the "search string" that appears in the URL display window of your web browser. Certain advertising services or third-party content providers may associate these search strings with cookies they set or retrieve from our pages.
To learn more about third-party targeted advertising, you can visit either the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) or the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), which each provide an easy way to opt out of ad targeting from participating companies. Similarly, for Europe you can visit the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) and for Canada you can visit Ad Choices: Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) / Choix de Pub: l'Alliance de la publicité numérique du Canada (DAAC).
Third Party Partners
RealNetworks may transfer personal information in connection with a sale, merger, transfer, exchange or other disposition (whether of assets, stock or otherwise) of all or a portion of a business of RealNetworks and/or its subsidiaries.
RealNetworks may also disclose your personal information, including the content of files you upload using RealNetworks’ products or services, if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law; (b) comply with the order of a competent judicial authority in any jurisdiction; (c) comply with legal process served on RealNetworks; (d) protect and defend the rights or property of RealNetworks; or (e) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of RealNetworks products or the public at large.
HOW TO MANAGE E-MAIL COMMUNICATIONS FROM REALNETWORKS
RealNetworks will send marketing e-mail messages to you only in accordance with your preferences. You may change your communications preferences at any time by either (a) selecting the opt-out option in any marketing message you receive or (b) if you have created an online account with RealNetworks, changing your account setting to select whether to receive marketing messages. Note that separate RealNetworks products, services and lines of business may send separate newsletters and marketing emails to you, which you may have to manage separately. We may also send you certain essential (non-promotional) e-mail about products or services you have previously purchased or to inform you about critical technical service issues relating to a RealNetworks product or service even if you have opted out of marketing messages.
HOW TO ACCESS, UPDATE AND DELETE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We strive to give you autonomy over your personal information. Therefore, we have provided several methods for you to access your personal information: (a) You can access your account information, your preferences and your data by using the view my data tool located at https://realtimes.real.com/mydata. You can access this page by selecting "Manage My Account" from the menu in the RealPlayer (usually under the "Help" menu) or other RealNetworks consumer software. (b) You may also access your data on the web at www.real.com by logging in using your name and password. (c) You may also submit a request for information by clicking here (d) If your image and facial recognition information is included in our celebrity database, you may submit a request to delete the information by contacting RealPlayer customer service at Celebrityemail@example.com.
If you have forgotten your username or password or if you don’t have an account you can use our online help resources or contact us by clicking here. Please also refer to “Contact us About Privacy” section for additional ways of contacting us.
TRANSFER OF DATA TO OTHER COUNTRIES
EU-U.S. AND SWISS-U.S. PRIVACY SHIELD
In absence of an adequacy decision, RealNetworks provides appropriate safeguards for the transfers personal data to a third country or an international organization such as, but not limited to, standard contractual clause, and binding corporate rules. In absence of an adequacy decision and appropriate safeguards, RealNetworks will only make an international transfer of personal data if the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract between you, as the data subject, and the controller, or for the implementation of pre-contractual measures taken at your request.
In some cases, RealNetworks may remain liable if a third party processes personal data on our behalf in a manner inconsistent with the Privacy Shield Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit www.privacyshield.gov.
If you have a question or complaint related to our participation in the Privacy Shield, we encourage you to contact us via our web form. For any complaints related to the Privacy Shield frameworks that cannot be resolved with RealNetworks directly, you may seek resolution of your complaint by contacting the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the international division of the American Arbitration Association (ICDR-AAA). As further explained in the Privacy Shield Principles, binding arbitration is available to address residual complaints not resolved by other means. RealNetworks is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident and the processing of personal information about you is subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), you have certain rights with respect to that information.
Right to know
Right to delete
California residents also have a right to request that we delete personal information under certain circumstances, subject to several exceptions.
Right to opt-out from sale
California residents have the right to opt-out from future “sales” of personal information. Note that the CCPA defines “sell” and “personal information” very broadly such that making personal information available to third-party advertising companies can be considered a “sale” in some circumstances. While we made such information regarding California residents available to advertising companies in the preceding 12 months, as described in the “when and how do we share personal information with third parties?” section of this Policy, we do not currently do so and thus do not currently “sell” information related to California residents.
To exercise the right to know or the right to request deletion, please refer to the “how to access, update and delete your personal information” section. California residents also have the right to not be discriminated against if they choose to exercise any of the above rights.
Category & Source of personal information
How we use it
When and why we share it with third parties
We collect this category mostly from you when you register for the services or interact with our service. We may also get certain identifies from third parties such as social networking sites or publicly available sources.
Information in this category includes name, email address, Internet Protocol address or postal address.
To contact you, enable the use of our services, and to understand how you interact with our products and services.
Service Providers – to obtain support services such as credit card processing, data processing and secure data storage services.
Personal information under California Civil Code section 1798.80.
Information in this category includes any information that is linked or linkable to an individual.
We collect this category from our users and third-party partners.
To enable the use of our services and enhance the user experience.
Service Providers – to obtain support services.
Analytics Providers – to better understand your use of the services.
Third-Party Partners – to provide additional products and services that can be added onto our products.
Advertising Companies – Currently we do not permit our advertising partners to serve personalized advertisements to California residents.
We collect this category from you when you make purchases.
Information in this category includes credit card numbers and purchase history.
To provide you access to the service.
Service Providers - to process payments.
Analytics Providers – to better understand your use of our products and services.
We generate this category from your media gallery and from publicly available media.
Information in this category includes information derived from photos and facial images.
To provide you services such as image and video indexing when you enable the facial recognition feature.
Service Providers - to obtain secure data processing and data storage services.
Internet or other electronic network activity information.
We collect this category when you interact with our website and other products and services.
Information in this category includes browser type, time and date of visit to our website or other information relating to your interaction with our website or application.
To enable the use of our products and services, to understand how our users interact with products and services.
Service Providers and Analytics Partners.
We collect this category from our users when you interact with our products and services.
We may also obtain this information from our service providers when we validate your location.
To offer localized products and services and also offer certain functionalities such as image indexing.
Service Providers and Analytics Partners.
Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
We collect this category when the users use our services.
To enable the use of our products and services.
Service Providers and Analytics Partners.
We create these internally from our user interactions.
To provide you services and enhance your user experience.
Service Providers - only to obtain secure data processing and data storage services.
Certain advertising companies can create their own profiles using cookies and other tracking techniques when they serve ads on our properties. We currently do not offer personalized advertisements in California and do not expose personal information to advertising companies.
EU DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
We collect and process personal data about you with your consent and/or as necessary to provide the products you use, operate our business, meet our contractual and legal obligations, protect the security of our systems and our customers, or fulfil other legitimate interests.
If the processing of personal data about you is subject to European Union data protection law, you have certain rights with respect to that data:
- You may request access to, and rectification or erasure of, personal data;
- If automated processing of your personal data is based on a contract with you or your consent, you have certain rights to data portability;
- If the processing of personal data is based on your consent, you have a right to withdraw consent at any time (without affecting the lawfulness of processing that occurred before its withdrawal); and
- You have a right to object to, or obtain a restriction of, the processing of personal data under certain circumstances.
You may exercise those rights by using the controls described in the “HOW TO ACCESS, UPDATE AND DELETE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION” section above, or by contacting us as described below. When we are processing data on behalf of another party that is the “data controller,” you should direct your request to that party. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, but we encourage you to first contact us with any questions or concerns.
BRAZILIAN DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
If the processing of your personal data is subject to Brazil’s Data Protection Law (LGPD), you have rights with respect to your data, as provided in Article 18 of the LGPD, including:
- Rights to Access, Correction, and Deletion. You may inquire as to whether we are processing your personal data, and you may request copies of such personal data. You may request that we correct any incomplete or outdated personal data. You may request anonymization or deletion of your personal data under certain circumstances, which may be subject to some exceptions.
- Right to Withdraw Consent. When we process your personal data on the basis of your consent, you may withdraw your consent at any time. However, if you refuse or withdraw consent for processing of provide data that is necessary to provide a service, you may not be able to use that service.
- Right to Restriction of Processing. You may object to, or obtain a restriction of, the processing of personal data under certain circumstances.
- Right to Data Portability. You may request your personal data be ported or transferred to another data controller to the extent required by the applicable regulation.
- Right to Information About Sharing. You may request information about entities with whom we share your personal data. Note that we provide notice about such sharing in this policy under the heading “When and How Do We Share Personal Information with Third Parties.”
Your rights are exercisable free of charge by using the controls described in the “HOW TO ACCESS, UPDATE AND DELETE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION” section above, or by contacting us as described below. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, but we encourage you to first contact us with any questions or concerns.
CONTACT US ABOUT PRIVACY
P.O. Box 91123
Seattle, WA 98111-9233
You can also contact us via: